Monday, February 18, 2013

Joy in the Journey

For nearly the last month now my husband has been working 80 hour weeks.  I feel badly that he hasn't seen much of our family.   And then sometimes I shamefully feel badly for myself, even though I would never wish to switch him positions.  My place is here.  It may be the most challenging job I've ever had, but it's raising my people.  Therefore, there is much rewarding and satisfying that comes from my occupation.
Lately, I have been trying to prepare myself and my family better for the Holy Sabbath.  A couple weekends ago I prepared almost everything we would need for the Sabbath day the night before.  Our meetings begin at 1130 on Sunday.  That morning we had some spare time and the kids and I (husband at work) wandered down a trail nearby.  We brought bread for the fish and turtles, a school backpack?, and Perry the Platypus.  We collected rocks along the way.  Boys are so funny.  I always find rocks in the washing machine after I wash a load of their clothing.  So now we have lots of clean, shiny rocks.  ;-) 

The previous week and weekend had been stressful and this little trip into Nature was just what we all needed.  It was quiet and peaceful.  We passed by only one other on the trail. We heard nothing other than our own voices and the birds singing.

We don't like to be uncomfortable, pushed out of our normal schedules, do we?  For some, when the pressure is on we find ourselves performing our best.  Trials, and even simply, change stretch us and provide opportunity to grow spiritually.  I have prayed for increased patience and endurance to make it through these last few weeks and I've felt that added strength.  I didn't want to simply make it through the week - frazzled, disorganized, or angry with my children.  I wanted to make it the best I could for them.  They miss their Dad.  The house remained in decent enough shape, homework completed, Valentines made, and peace (for the most part) was kept - sometimes strictly enforced. Until last night.  I think I suddenly hit my breaking point.  Right before bedtime.  Urgh - hate when I lose it!  I apologized and they did what children do so well: immediately dismissing their hurt feelings and forgiving me without further thought.  They are amazing.  I love them.  
 
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."

President Thomas S. Monson (President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)

2 comments:

  1. What a great post, Sara. You are to be admired for being such a great 'single parent' much of the time. And great quote by President Monson. Most days sure doesn't seem like it will pass quickly, but I'm sure it will in reality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a really late post! I can tell you...it drags sometimes during those early years...but, then it just zooms by....:)

    ReplyDelete