Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cheap way to eat healthy

Thanks for your responses to my last post, Christy and Emily.  At first I began making a comment in the comment box, but it was a very LOOOOOOOOOONG comment, so here we are.

Em, thanks for sharing!  I'm glad to know which types of coupons you use.  I'll keep an eye out for those healthier coupon options.  When I heard about Bountiful Basket a year or so ago I was so excited.  Then, I went to the website and saw that it wasn't here in Florida.  :(  Bummer!   You know how you mentioned you wanted me to share when I found the answer to eating totally healthy for cheap.  I think I may know the answer!!  But I am not in the position yet to make it happen.  I think I  have to grow the food myself!  It's a huge undertaking, but I'm beginning to do it, starting out small.  I try to incorporate my garden goods into dinner two to three times a week.  I figure it's a start.  And it's not cheap in the beginning.  There are materials, seeds, tools, etc. to buy.  But once you get it going, the cost goes down.  I think I could eventually get to the point where we are able to sustain ourselves (produce-wise) with the food from our backyard.  This point is a ways off though.  Side note: Have you seen this blog?

For now, every year I try to do a little more.  And typically, each growing season I experience a little more success than the previous year.  That's where I'm headed, anyway.  It's my dream.  Am I being realistic?
Christy, thanks for the information!  I have been searching for a co-op here.  Dave has a facebook account, so I will look into that.  There is a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm nearby.  There is a membership fee and then a lump sum depending on how long and how often we bring home their produce.  It's very beneficial -- for us and for the farmer.  Essentially, we are paying for their seeds, equipment, maintenance, labor, etc.  And in return, we make a personal connection with the people growing the food that goes into our bodies!  We receive food which is organic, local, less expensive, and it's an educational experience.  I suppose I just need to make the jump!  It's difficult for me to want to pay that much up front, and yet I know it is truly worth it.  First though, I'll check into that co-op that the sisters from church are trying to start up.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge, Christy and Em.  Keep it coming!

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is such an inspiration! I'm so excited to finally have our own yard to start trying. I'm prepared to have little success at first, but hopefully at least start up the learning curve. We have some friends here with a tiller ready to go when the spring comes! I think you're definitely onto something with the garden plan :)

    ReplyDelete