Sunday, January 13, 2013

Two Months of growth

The kale is almost ready to pick.  One of our favorite things to do with kale is make this soup -- substituting kale for escarole.
BROCCOLI.  Still haven't produced heads yet.  Hoping it's not too warm here.  I know there are others in my area having success growing broccoli.  Hopefully I didn't plant too late.  I have read that broccoli doen't like the heat and the temps have been in the 80s this week.  I'll keep peeking inside and gently pulling the leaves back in the center of the plant.  Perhaps I am just being impatient.
 BUTTERHEAD LETTUCE.  Time for some salad!
RAINBOW CARROTS.  I love to see the vibrant purple head peeking out from the soil.  We're getting close to harvesting carrots.  I wonder what is beneath the soil.  How can you tell when a carrot is done?  

 Curly KALE.  Curly headed baby.  Mouthful of juicy orange.
 Two months of carrot green growth.
 Carpet of parsley. 
There you have it.  Two months of growth.  Time to harvest some things and time to sit back and patiently await others.  I'm thinking about another locavore challenge.  One month of eating one locally grown food each day.  Any takers? 

2 comments:

  1. Yummy garden goods! I may do the local challenge with you,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Let's do it! There are some really yummy things growing right now. Glad you're in, Nickel. ;-)

      Delete