Tuesday, January 29, 2013

rainbow carrot harvest begins



One of the boys couldn't wait any longer and started pulling carrots one afternoon, while I was inside.  This is not as bad as the day I left out a can of spray paint and they began painting their fort while I was inside cleaning.  Troublemakers those boys.  ;-)

This is how it goes when school lets out in the afternoon -- They grab a snack when they walk in the door, throw their backpacks and some of their clothing in their room.  I've managed to keep them in shorts or pants most of the time.  But the shirtless thing is not a fight I care to make yet.  They run around the house, play some computer games, wrestle, maybe do a little homework.  And when they begin climbing the walls (I'm almost serious), I send them out to play in the backyard.  I often try to line this up with cooking dinner.  That way I have a little peace and quiet, even if it only lasts ten minutes.

Back to the carrots.  Wish they would have stayed in the dirt a little longer, but they weren't so early.  I think we're onto something -- carrots in containers.  Whatever works, right?  The night these were picked we made roasted rainbow carrots.  Not from our own carrots, but from the farmers market.  Ours were perfect for snacking.  I sliced up the KYV carrots and drizzled olive oil over them, added a little kosher salt, some freshly ground pepper, and a tablespoon of brown sugar. 
Also, this morning I spied a broccoli head.  The size of my pinky fingertip, but it's there! 


3 comments:

  1. You are making me so excited for when we start our garden! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of your boys coming home from school. That about tells the story of my girls too. And Makenna does actually climb on walls. That is why we have a trampoline. :) Miss you Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trampoline... yes, we need one of those too! That is a great energy burner right there! Miss you too, Riding!

    ReplyDelete