Sunday, February 19, 2012

sprouting goodness

This blog tends to be about Nature and my personal gardening experiences, however, the idea of sprouting goodness can be about all sorts of things.  


I am a mother, therefore, much of my thoughts and daily activities are centered around my children.  The little people at my house are just that -- little.  However, their needs are endless and the energy they demand from me is often great. 


Some days can be overwhelming, especially those days soon after a baby is born.  This weekend I was visiting with some of my husband's family.  His Aunt was telling me about her daughter and her daughter-in-law, both with newborn babies.  The stories she shared with me sounded so familiar... Days when the house is just a mess (this seems to be the case at my place, rather than the exception!); other days when you and/or your children are still in your pajamas and your husband walks in the door, returning from work; or, when you're so incredibly sleep-deprived but you have to keep going; kids arguing and fighting; the pile of laundry which is resembling Everest more and more with each passing day; and dishes forever in the sink. And these aren't even the greatest of problems.  The children and their personal challenges are always changing.


So, here's what we came up with.  My Aunt, Grandmother, and I laughed as we shared stories and we decided that your day can be counted as a success as long as --  

The children have been fed, their diapers changed. 


That 'to do' list will always be there.  Patience is a virtue which can sometimes be defined as e.n.d.u.r.e.  Not every problem has an answer.  But on those crazy days when you're feeling overwhelmed -- if the kids' bellies are full, their diapers are dry and clean, and everyone's relatively content, then it's ok.  Not everyone has little kids, or kids for that matter, but you get the idea.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  People are much more important than things.

No comments:

Post a Comment